Saturday, May 2, 2009

*facepalm*

I thought that the 'Special Extra Post' for the day before yesterday had been posted after midnight and so it could count to be my post for yesterday and not special or extra at all. Turns out it was like at 11:30. Doh! The latter half of BEDHAM is turning out well as you can see. Not.

It's my formal tonight so I'm really excited. I'm also quite nervous and I don't really know why. Whoosh, breathe in and out. I'm considering composing a schedule for everything that I need to do today, but I think that might stress me out. It's my senior prom! That always seems like such a big deal in American movies but formals are like soooo not taken as seriously here as they are in America. Then again, Australians like never take anything seriously...except sport.
Just a quick note: I'm actually sixteen and on the eighth of May I'll be turning seventeen. In Australia, you spend the majority of your senior year being seventeen, not eighteen like in America. It would be disastrous! Because the legal drinking age here is eighteen, no one would ever get anything done lol!

My hands are kind of shaking...I think I'm stressing myself out :P It's Labour Day on Monday! I'm really glad it's a long weekend this weekend (it's Saturday today) because I have an assignment due on Tuesday and basically today and tomorrow have been written off so I need some time to do it.

I might also mention that we don't get special allowance for it being 'prom weekend' or anything at my school because the formal isn't associated with the school. Aaaages ago, like twenty or thirty years ago at the last school formal, one fateful guy fatefully puked on some princess-twit's VERY EXPENSIVE dress. She decided to sue the school for negligence. So, we don't have them 'officially' anymore.

But one of the parents in the year always organises it. I think it's better like this actually because like it means that you can take whoever you want. Like, I go to an all-girls Catholic school right? So if you were a lesbian and wanted to take a girl, you wouldn't be allowed to. But since it's not done through the school you can take whoever you want. A lot of girls are actually just taking female friends of theirs because they feel like it, and that's allowed too.

See, my problem is that I didn't have ANYONE to take, being excluded from the male sex for a majority of the year doesn't really lend itself to great friendship opportunities. Luckily, one of my friends' older brother has a group of friends who wanted to come, so I'm taking one of them. We've hung out before so it's not going to be weird or anything hehe. I'm just a bit worried that he doesn't like me :( Oh well, he can deal, it's my formal so he can at least pretend hehe.

I dunno, do you guys in America have pre-formal parties? We do here, it's basically a very dignified event where all of the parents and children of a friendship group go to one person's house so they get to see everyone and take pictures with everyone. It's nice but it also means that your formal getting-ready time is reduced by about an hour and a half.

It was kind of sad actually, I don't know if getting fake tans before formals is big in America but it's HUGE here. Like, seriously, massive. All of the popular girls, and most of the un-popular girls, get it done. I don't because I think it looks horrendous. It very rarely looks good, like hardly EVER. I think most people look best with their natural skin colour, really. I mean, if you saw the pictures that I posted of my dress you'd know that I'm quite pale, but I like that. They nearly always look orange. The most depressing thing about it all was the crash diets that they're all going on! One of them has been only eating lemons for the past week, it's so unhealthy! The worst thing is that they know it's unhealthy but they just don't care.

I think it's strange how most people at the formal aren't going to look like themselves at all. They're all getting their hair dyed, they won't have their normal skin colour, their make-up will be all done...it's weird. I want a very natural sort of look for my make-up and I want a messy bun for my hair. This is the picture that I'm taking to the hairdresser anyway:


Of course, it's going to have to be quite different because I have a fringe (bangs) that will need to be pulled back and I don't want it QUITE so messy, but that's the general feel that I'm after. I also sort of want like two or three smallish braids running back into bun, I think that would look nice. I'm also just doing my make-up myself whereas most people are getting it done. I'm pretty low-key about the whole thing, overall.

Anyway, I think I've bored you enough :P I should probably go and have breakfast and have a shower etc. before my hair app. Wish me luck!

xoxo,

Megan

Kg's to Goal: 5

Guitar Hero Plays This Year: 34

Mental Slaps Today: 2 (but it's very early in the day, remember that :P)

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had fun at your formal, and I really like that hairstyle. I want to see pictures, haha. I love dresses and tuxedos and proms and such.

    And no one I know gets the fake orangey tans, but they do tan in tanning beds (which is better because they're not orange... just unusually dark). The people that do tan in tanning beds do that all the time though, not just for dances.

    I go to a very, very small school (about 300 with the high school and middle school combined), so that might be why I don't know of anyone getting spray tans or crash dieting. Some people might... but I probably don't talk to/know them. I don't know.

    Either me or my mom does my make-up and hair for every formal I have, but I think I'm going to get someone to do my hair for my senior prom.

    Anyway.

    This is probably the longest comment in the world. Maybe. I don't really know, haha.

    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete