Saturday, April 25, 2009

ANZAC Day

Today, as you might have gathered from the title, was ANZAC Day. ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and today is when we honour and remember all of our fellows who have served and died in war.


We had a ceremony for this yesterday at my school. It was really moving and I nearly cried. However, I got a little bit annoyed because all of the focus was on WWI and WWII, no one even mentioned the Vietnam War or even the Iraq War. It made me so mad because it's like Australia is ashamed to be/have been participating in them and so we act like they don't exist. People have died in both of those wars, they have been devastating and people have made HUGE sacrifices and yet we act like they don't exist.


I mean, it's not like I'm exactly FOR our involvement in them either. I hate the idea of anyone interfering in each other's affairs for no good reason. But the simple fact is that soldiers don't declare war, Governments do. I'm like a total pacifist. I have yet to hear of a good reason for anyone going to war. (I mean maybe, maybe, the killing of Jews in Germany but that's not even the reason we went to war. Everyone turned a blind eye until they invaded Poland *rolls eyes*).


I'm actually writing an assignment on the anti-Vietnam War movements at the moment for Modern History. Well, I should be, I've been working on S.O.R. all day but that's due sooner so, you know, prioritising. I know that people were horrible to the Vietnam veterans when they came home. Admittedly, everyone on both sides committed atrocities but the simple fact is that I'm almost certain that they would not have done these things had they not been ordered. Ugh, it just makes me sad.


Anyway, in less somber news, I was watching RENT today and I noticed something extraordinary! Maureen in RENT is called MAUREEN JOHNSON!! I freaked out :P Maybe everyone already knew that but it impressed me. My sister was a bit weirded out haha.


I have to record my rap tomorrow and I...have to like...finish writing it first lol. I also have to memorise my oral entirely tomorrow, which I'm not really looking forward to. I'm not very good at giving orals that I haven't memorised so it's going to be really important for me to have this DOWN by Monday morning. Plus, it always impresses the teachers if they see that you've gone to that much trouble ;)


My formal (prom) dress arrived the other day, I'm not entirely sure if I said. This be it. (Happy 11:11 by the way, make a wish :P)


Notes:
1) You can't really tell in this picture but the straps are actually like a forest green
2) Obviously this is not to the floor, I'm not freakishly short :P
3) I cut off my head because I was making a strange face lol
4) This picture sort of makes me look bigger than I am. I guess the dress is partially to blame because it makes my boobs look WAY bigger than they are in real life.
I'm going to go now, have a nice whatever-time-of-day :)
xoxo,
Megan
Mental Slaps Today: 6
Guitar Hero Plays This Year: 32
Kg's to Goal: I wanted to check this today, but would you believe, there is not a single set of scales in my whole house! Except for a tiny cooking one that I would break if I stood on lol.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that dress! It looks fantastic! I don't know when your formal is, but I want to see MANY PICTURES. I love dresses and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is so cute! PLEASE TAKE PICTURES YES!

    ReplyDelete